It is evident that food plays a very important part in our lives in America as well as other individual’s lives in countries such as Japan, Italy, and China. In the article “Eating America” by Sidney Mintz she discusses the importance of food in the United States in relation to our cuisine. In the introduction of this article Mintz expresses the misconception that culture and cuisine are the same thing. When Mintz introduced America as having no cuisine, many individuals were offended because they assumed culture and cuisine went hand in hand. Mintz by no means meant to say that American’s had no culture, but solely that we have no specific cuisine. Throughout the article he deals with the possibility of the creation of a new cuisine as well as the changes America has experienced over time. A large part of the reason American cuisine is so diverse is because of the variety of descendents coming from outside of the United States such as Europe. European cuisine varies significantly from American cuisine, but throughout the years, Europe’s cuisine continues to make itself more visible in the United States. Rather than adopting their own cuisine, it is so common for individuals in the United States to eat a variety of cuisines. Mintz discusses the important different between being socially and culturally alike in terms of food. This is important because it proves that although we have very similar opinions on what American food is, culturally we are extremely diverse. Americans eat more Italian, Chinese, and even Greek food than Italians, Chinese, and Greek people eat of American food. It is so easy to get any type of food in America because foods are no longer region-specific because of the decrease in price of transportation. American’s have truly stopped caring about the types of food we eat, which is why Mintz believes that we do not and will not have a cuisine specific to America.
I found this article really interesting because I never thought of an American Cuisine. Whenever I order take out or go out to dinner with my family we always go out with the purpose of having Italian, Japanese, Chinese or even Greek food. Although I consider foods such as hot dogs, hamburgers, and even macaroni and cheese American, I agree with the statement that Americans truly don’t have a cuisine. Americans tend to be more diverse regarding to food because food is such an important part of our lifestyle. I don’t mean that American’s necessarily eat the most expensive foods or the most exquisite cuisines, but we definitely eat the most food. American’s have developed their own type of cuisine that includes every other cuisine possible. Although this obviously means that America does not have an original cuisine, in my opinion diversity in this sense is almost better. I enjoy being able to have good Chinese and Italian food without having to travel all the way to China and Italy. Lately our food system has become dependent on fast food and cheap unhealthy food, adding to the reason why it is almost impossible for America to have a unique cuisine.
WHY?
Does a cuisine have to be different or it is possible for a cuisine to be a mixture of other cuisines?
Do you think American cuisine is taking a turn for the worst?
I completely agree with you. I always eat Japanese, Chinese, and Italian food which I obviously don't consider American. But then there are the American foods like hamburgers, steak, etc. However, I think they fall under a category, not a national cuisine.
ReplyDelete